GM Cladding Issues
July 23, 2004
General Motors-Chevrolet Avalanche Cladding Issue
Automotive international was contacted by GM Engineering regarding a concern with the TPO cladding used on 2002 thru 2004 Avalanche pickup trucks.
This cladding will exhibit “streaking”, “discoloring” and fading within a sort period of time following assembly.
Our studies, conducted over a 4 month period, working with GM engineers and parts supplied by GM, have found the following:
The material is molded TPO, both the grey and black parts.
The supplier of the parts, used an internal release agent in the molding process.
This release agent continues to move to the top surfaces of the cladding when subjected to normal sunlight heat.
This creates a “waxy” surface on the parts.
As this wax substance evaporates from natural heat, use of caustic carwash or other car care chemicals, it is “unevenly” removed from the parts surface.
Additionally, many dealers and owners utilized “dimethyl silicone/ hydrocarbon” dressings during new vehicle prep or normal “detailing” of the vehicles. The hydrocarbon solvents further removed unevenly., the wax emitted surface, adding to the streaking and discoloring of the parts.
According to GM engineers, due to the internal release agents, it is not possible to “paint” the parts, to produce a suitable finish.
TS1 was tested and approved by Automotive International for General Motors and approved for GM warranty to solve the fade and chalking issues of TPO plastic.
Director of Technical Services
Automotive International, Inc.
Cargo Covers and/or Body Cladding Discolored (Chalky)
(Apply Conditioner) #04-08-111-001 – (01/16/2004)
2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT
2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche
Implementation of this service bulletin by “GM of Canada” dealers requires prior District Service Manager approval.
Some customers may comment that the cargo covers or the body cladding is discolored (chalky).
Apply a conditioner following the procedure below.
- This product should be used in a well-ventilated area using nitrile gloves and proper eye protection.
- This product is flammable. Do not use around open flame. These reconditioning wipes may spontaneously combust, be aware of fire risk.
- All personnel should read the Material Safety Data Sheet before using this product.
- Proper disposal of used wipes should be followed.
Make certain the surface is clean and dry before applying TS-1. This product will not bond to wet surfaces and, if the surfaces are not cleaned, the results will be disappointing.
- Wash the vehicle with a general purpose cleaner to make certain the surfaces are clean.
- For ease of clean-up, tape-off all the painted surfaces around the trim. (This product will not harm paint).
- Apply TS-1 evenly over the surfaces.
- Allow product to remain for a few minutes. Wipe panels completely dry. htpp://semce.gm.com/3ervlets/BlobShtml7ShtmlFUe-1430683&evc=numSrch
- Using a damp, lint-free towel, wipe the treated surface thoroughly
- A second coat may be needed on severely faded surfaces and can be applied after step #4.
If the next step is not performed, this product will remain tacky and attract dirt.
For questions and answers about this product, contact Armor-Dillo’s website.
“We believe these sources and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such material. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products from these firms or for any such items which may be available from other sources.”
For easy ordering and billing Armor-Dillo Automotive products TS-1 Reconditioning Wipes, refer to the phone number and website listed below. This product is sold in a 20 package box from Armor-Dillo.